Friday, November 27, 2009

Distance is a matter

Growing up, distance had always been a big issue in my life.
When I was small, I lived in a different continent, miles away from my grandparents and extended family. At that time, the only way we could communicate was by phone and only be able to hear each other's voices. Sometimes my family would send photos and vice versa. Distance was a matter.

I grew up with many amazing friends - ones who were, are, still and always will be special to me. When it was time to return to homeland, distance was another big issue, why ? Because I had to leave what I had - everything, everyone, the family, the friends, the loved ones and then live miles away from them. Sad it was !
Distance was the only thing that kept us apart.

Now, I've gotta deal with the fact that again, distance is, and is going to be a matter. Me studying in Bandung, a city away from Jakarta, and my parents who are going to be living in another province. Living far away from loved ones for me is hard, but I'm getting used to it - I have to.

Distance might be one of the reasons I don't know all my extended family really well. It also might be the reason why 'we' don't keep in touch as often as we did before, eventhough we have Facebook, Skype, MSN and etc. It's just not the same.

But I've got to the point where I realize that distance has taught me loads of things. The ways of adapting to new environments, the true meaning of friendship and family. It has taught me the steps to become an independent individual for my myself and other people. Now I guess living far away from my parents is going to turn me into a better sister for Tio cos it means I'd have to keep an eye on him more often and not have those one on one tempramental moments anymore lol.

Eventhough the distance is only a two hour, six hour, three day drive or even far as in, on the other the side of the world, make it a reason for you to become a better individual for yourselves and other people. Although for me, still, distance will always be a matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment